Summer in Perth. It always makes for long days, balmy nights and watching sunsets on the coast with the sea breeze.. Definitely my favourite time of year.
Whenever it rolls around, I find myself asking the same question - to pool or not to pool?
The dilemma...? We don't have a huge block. There's just enough space for a plunge pool and we are no less than a 5 minute walk to the beach. Surely getting a pool is being a little impractical due to our limited space and kinda unnecessary considering we are so close to the coast?
Well, yes... but this isn't enough to deter me.
And for a lot of people, it seems the decrease in suburban block size hasn't taken away the desire to have a pool in the garden either - but instead amplified the call for custom designed concrete pools to suit any outdoor space.
The pool has become an integral part of the landscape. And it's easy to see why. Water is not only one of life's most essential elements, but it also provides us with an enormous potential of enjoyment.. especially in our own gardens.
Even if you don't have - or are not even thinking about - a pool, the effect of even the smallest of trickles is enough to drown out the drone of urban living. There are many benefits of water bodies - big and small - and today I am giving you my top picks..
8 BENEFITS OF WATER IN THE GARDEN
1. Cooling -- the Persians were one of the first to use water rills in the garden for cooling & soothing. It was later adapted to many other cultures and evolved to what air conditioning is today.
2. Filters urban noise -- who doesn't want to feel like they're in their own secluded retreat far, far away?
3. Calming & tranquil -- Meditative and fluid. I could stare into water for hours.
4. Focal point -- water creates an impressive focal point in the garden.. especially with lighting at night!
5. Play -- a pool provides activity and gathering.
6. Exercise -- give me 50 laps. STAT.
7. Reflection -- on the ceiling it makes great effects & always an inviting place to sit and ponder.
8. Life -- water can bring movement and light where there was once a dark, lifeless space... and fish!
Are you drawn to water as much as I am? What are your fave benefits? I'd love to hear your comments.
Stay tuned because this weekend's Garden Styler is all about keeping cool and looking fab poolside.
Til then, enjoy your week!